Despite the improvements in modern dental care, many Canadians suffer from tooth loss due to periodontal disease, tooth decay, or injury. Dental implants in Ottawa present a popular tooth replacement solution but are dental implants worth the cost?
Permanent Tooth Replacement: Are Dental Implants Worth the Cost?
Dental implants are not a brand-new idea: Egyptian mummies are often found with gold implants inserted into their jawbones. Nowadays, most Canadians under the age of 50 have less risk of losing their tooth or teeth due to more advanced dental treatments and the fluoridation of water, but many older Canadian have already lost some, if not all, of their teeth. If you are among them, you may consider an implant surgery as a good permanent alternative to bridges and dentures. However, dental implants involve a surgical procedure and often come at an increased cost as compared to dentures or dental bridges.
What are Dental Implants?
A modern implant procedure involves a metal post that is surgically implanted into the jawbone to be used as an anchor for a bridge, crown, or partial or full denture. The purpose of an implant is to replace the tooth roots, providing a strong foundation for the artificial tooth that is attached to the abutment.
There are several types of dental implants available in Ottawa:
- Single-tooth implant
- Multiple teeth implant
- Implant-supported dentures
What are the Advantages of Dental Implants?
Are dental implants worth the cost? To answer the question, consider numerous advantages associated with dental implants, such as:
- Improved comfort. Implants reduce the discomfort of removable dentures, as they become a part of you and act completely natural.
- Improved appearance. Implants feel and look like natural teeth and become permanent once they fuse with the bone.
- Improved speech. In case your dentures are poor-fitting, the teeth might slip within the mouth, resulting in slurring or mumbling of words. In contrast, dental implants allow you to speak clearly without the worry that the replacement teeth might slip.
- Easier eating. Just like with speech, slipping dentures can make chewing difficult. Luckily, with dental implants, you can eat your favourite foods without pain or discomfort.
- Improved self-esteem. Implants can restore your beautiful smile and help you regain your confidence.
- Improved oral health. Unlike a dental bridge, which is tooth-supported, dental implants do not require altering other teeth. Because none of the nearby teeth are reduced in order to hold the implant, more of your healthy teeth are left intact, improving your oral health in the long-term. In addition, individual implants allow for easy access between the teeth, making oral hygiene easier.
- Durability. With good care, implants are made to last many years and are incredibly durable.
- Convenience. Dental implants eliminate the inconvenience and embarrassment of removing dentures and the need for messy adhesives.
What are the Disadvantages of Dental Implants?
As with any surgical procedure, there are certain disadvantages and risks associated with the dental implant procedure:
- High cost. Implants are expensive, starting from $3500 for a single tooth. Dental insurance usually covers little or none of the cost. However, if you compare implants with dentures and bridges in terms of cost, comfort, and durability, implants will surely win the last two criteria.
- Possible complications. Even though the success rate is high, as with any surgical procedure, there exists a possibility of complications. Although a complication may be minor, it would still require a visit to the dentist.
- Big commitment. Dental implants require a big time commitment: it may take months from the first visit to the dental office to the day your implant is finally completed. Be ready to visit the implant dentist many times along the way.
- Surgical procedure. Dental implants are a surgical procedure, and thus they carry the risk of anaesthesia-related problems or infection.
What You Need to Know About Dental Implants
To answer the question “Are dental implants worth the cost?”, you should know a few facts about the dental implant procedure:
- Dental implants are made to last a lifetime, with failure rates under 5 percent. Upper jaw implants fail more often due to the less dense jaw bone.
- If you have experienced bone loss in your jaw, you may require a bone graft or a bone regeneration membrane to support the implant. In case the bone does not heal securely around the installed implant, the device can get loose and fail.
- Make sure to choose an experienced dental specialist, such as implant dentists at Rockcliffe Dental & Denture Centre. Don’t hesitate to ask about the specifics of the procedure and the steps involved.
- Once your implant is installed, daily cleaning routine, such as brushing and flossing, as well as regular exams and professional cleanings, are a must.
- Tooth grinding may increase the failure risk of an implant. In addition, quitting smoking might be a good idea, as smoking is associated with higher implant failure rates.
After All, Are Dental Implants Worth the Money?
Even though dental implant procedure may seem like a long and costly process, dental implants provide numerous advantages over other tooth restoration and replacement options. If you find yourself asking are dental implants worth the cost, consider that they might be a good solution for you if:
- You are missing teeth. If you have a missing tooth or a tooth that needs to be pulled, dental implants will present an effective and permanent solution for a natural-looking and functioning smile.
- You have enough bone to keep the implant. If you have lost some of your jaw bone, you may require a bone graft procedure before getting implants. This would result in more surgery and healing time, but implants will still be an option.
- You are in good health and not a smoker. People with chronic diseases or heavy smokers need to be examined case-by-case. Your best bet would be to talk to your implant dentist to see if dental implants are right for you.
Book a Consultation with Implant Dentists at Rockcliffe Dental
So are dental implants worth the cost? Definitely YES! It is crucial to feel confident and comfortable about your smile. Luckily, implant dentists at Rockcliffe Dental & Denture Centre can help you restore your confidence with a permanent tooth replacement solution. We have the experience, skills, and passion to deliver top-quality implant dentistry services in Ottawa.
Contact us today to book your consultation and start your journey to a beautiful smile.
- Learn more about dental implants in Ottawa
- Learn what are dental implants
- Learn more about dental implant procedure in Ottawa
- Learn about all-on-four dental implants vs traditional implants
- Learn more about dental implant options in Ottawa
- Learn what to expect from a dental implant surgery in Ottawa
- Learn more about 5 common oral surgeries in Ottawa