For weakened, broken or missing teeth, the insertion of tooth crowns and dental bridges in Ottawa by our team can make all the difference. We can easily make your smile perfect once again, thanks to the effectiveness of these artificial yet all-natural looking tooth additions.
What are Tooth Crowns and Dental Bridges in Ottawa?
Tooth crowns and dental bridges in Ottawa are dental appliances made to fit over cracked, injured, or discoloured teeth or to fill in the space resulting from tooth extractions in order to protect the teeth from future damage or injuries. In addition, dental crowns and bridges aid in the prevention of future toothaches or discomfort.
Dental Crowns in Ottawa
A dental crown permanently cemented over an existing tooth’s top surface helps to restore and maintain a specific shape, size, strength, and appearance. Our crowns are meticulously installed with careful precision, generally lasting five to eight years or longer with good oral hygiene. Our tooth crowns can also be natural tooth colored matched in order to blend perfectly with your smile to achieve beautiful results.
Are Dental Crowns Right for Me?
Dental crowns in Ottawa are generally recommended to treat a broad range of cosmetic and restorative dental concerns.
As such, dental crowns can fix:
- Discoloured teeth
- Damaged, cracked, chipped, or decayed teeth
- Misshapen teeth
- Reinforce anchor teeth required for a dental bridge
- Strengthen a tooth after a root canal treatment
The Rockcliffe Dental & Denture Centre professionals, specializing in tooth crowns and dental bridges in Ottawa, may recommend installing a dental crown to either address cosmetic concerns or to help restore your dental health. Tooth crowns in Ottawa present highly durable dental restorations that function and look just like natural teeth. They can be made from a variety of materials, such as ceramic, metal, zirconia, porcelain with metal, or a combination of zirconia and porcelain.
Dental Crown Procedure in Ottawa
When you visit Rockcliffe Dental & Denture Centre for a comprehensive oral health exam, our dentist will determine if a dental crown is, indeed, an appropriate treatment required to restore your beautiful smile.
Usually, we require two visits to install a dental crown. The first visit involves our dental team preparing the tooth for the crown, leading to an impression being made to ensure unquestionable accuracy, as well as the fitting of a temporary crown.
Based on this impression, the dental crown will be molded exactly to match the colour, size, and shape of your natural teeth.
Your second and final visit will involve the installation of the permanent crown, which is cemented into place, inspected for comfort and fit, and polished to appear completely natural to the naked eye.
Here are the steps involved in a dental crown procedure in Ottawa:
- X-Ray imaging. Your dentist will take X-Ray images of your teeth and gums in order to determine whether you require a tooth crown or a different restorative procedure.
- Application of anesthetic. If you are a good candidate for the procedure, the dentist will numb the area around the treated tooth.
- Preparation of the supporting tooth. Once the treated area is numb, the dentist will gently file away a part of your natural tooth to create room for the restoration.
- Supporting tooth impressions. After the tooth is completely prepared, its impressions are taken in order to create a custom dental crown that fits perfectly.
- Placement of the crown. Once the crown is created, it is finally cemented to your tooth.
Dental Crowns Front Teeth Before and After
Curious to see dental crowns before and after photos? Here is a case of the front teeth rehabilitation with porcelain dental crowns:
Tooth Bridges in Ottawa
For those who have several missing or broken teeth, a tooth bridge in Ottawa is the best option. Installed in the same manner as our dental crowns, this solid multi-tooth cap helps to restore chewing abilities in affected areas as well as speech.
In addition, the installation of a dental bridge by our experts helps to prevent your teeth from becoming misaligned due to shifting space, and it also protects against gum disease and decay typically associated with shifted teeth.
With modern dental techniques and technologies used at Rockcliffe Dental & Denture Centre, our tooth crowns and dental bridges in Ottawa allow for better function and are more natural looking as compared to traditional options.
Are Dental Bridges Right for Me?
A dental bridge or a partial denture can be used to either replace teeth that need to be extracted or to replace teeth that have already been lost. A tooth bridge in Ottawa requires healthy and strong surrounding teeth or the placement of supporting dental implants. Alternatively, a dental crown can be used to reinforce the supporting teeth. The bridge itself holds the prosthetic teeth, while the adjacent natural or artificial teeth are used as an anchor to hold the structure.
Dental Bridge VS Dental Implants
Both tooth crowns and dental bridges in Ottawa are dental appliances, which depend on properly prepared and filed adjacent teeth for support. In contrast, a dental implant involves a dental crown permanently attached to a metal post that has been implanted into the jaw bone, leaving adjacent teeth unaffected.
For potential patients, a dental implant is generally recommended when securing a dental bridge or replacing a single missing tooth. Implants present an artificial tooth replacement and offer important benefits that will support long term oral health and provide the most natural appearance and function.
Dental Bridge Procedure in Ottawa
Just like a dental crown, a tooth bridge procedure requires two appointments: to prepare the adjacent teeth and take their impressions and to place the permanent dental bridge structure.
A dental bridge procedure in Ottawa involves the following steps:
- Assessment. Your dentist will examine your oral health and determine whether a bridge is the best option to replace missing teeth.
- Teeth preparation. A local anesthetic is applied, and adjacent teeth are shaped to properly fit the bridge. In some cases, a dental implant is used instead to anchor the bridge.
- Teeth impressions. The impressions of the supporting teeth are taken and sent to the laboratory for the bridge construction. A sample colour is also taken in order to ensure that the prosthetics are closely matched with the natural teeth for aesthetic purposes.
- Temporary bridge placements. For some patients, a temporary bridge is fitted to protect the shaped teeth while the permanent bridge is under construction.
- Permanent bridge placement. As soon as the unique personalized dental bridge has been created, it can be permanently placed onto the supporting teeth under the local anesthetic. The temporary bridge is removed, the anchoring teeth are cleaned, and dental cement is applied to fix the fixed bridge in place.
Dental Bridge Work Before and After
Have you been browsing for “dental bridge before and after pics”? Here are a few examples of front teeth being restored with porcelain bridges by our skilled dentists at Rockcliffe Dental & Denture Centre!
Dental Bridge Front Teeth Before and After:
Choose Experts at Rockcliffe Dental & Denture Centre for Dental Crowns and Bridges in Ottawa!
Whether you require one or several broken, missing or significantly damaged teeth to be replaced or repaired, tooth crowns and dental bridges in Ottawa are a firmly fitting and comfortable solution.
Contact Rockcliffe Dental & Denture Centre today to book an appointment and learn more.
- Learn more about general dentistry in Ottawa