When wisdom teeth bother you, it’s best to consult a dental professional regarding extractions; we can quickly and efficiently deliver optimal comfort by removing them. At Rockcliffe Dental & Denture Centre, our collective years of experience in wisdom teeth removal in Ottawa enable for quality-driven procedures at respectful prices. By selecting us to perform wisdom teeth removal and treatments, you’ll receive only the finest results.
Wisdom Teeth Removal in Ottawa: an Overview
A tooth extraction may be required to treat severe tooth damage, decay, or to address overcrowding of teeth. Tooth removal is used only if necessary: our skilled dentists always attempt to preserve your natural teeth with root canals or dental fillings if possible.
Tooth extractions can be performed in a single visit to our dental office and are relatively painless with the use of a local anesthetic. After the procedure, your dentist will recommend appropriate aftercare options to reduce swelling or discomfort. Typically, patients recover quickly and with no complications. However, if you happen to experience excessive bleeding at home, make sure to contact our dentist office in Ottawa right away.
Wisdom teeth removal in Ottawa is a very common procedure for young people in their late teens to early twenties, as wisdom teeth typically begin to emerge at that age. Commonly, these teeth present a potential overcrowding issue or are impacted in the bone, and therefore require extraction. Our dental clinic provides full services for wisdom teeth removal in Ottawa for all patients at any age.
Is Wisdom Tooth Removal Necessary?
If your wisdom teeth are healthy, fully erupted, and positioned correctly in the mouth, they may not need to be removed.
Most dentists suggest removing wisdom teeth if they don’t fully emerge, crowd nearby teeth, or remain completely hidden in the gums, as there is a potential for problems down the lane. In fact, many young adults have their wisdom teeth pulled out before they cause any problems.
Wisdom teeth removal in Ottawa may be necessary if they can cause the following problems:
- Periodontal disease involving bone loss around neighbouring teeth.
- Difficulty to keep the area clean, resulting in swollen gums and bad breath.
- Wisdom teeth are sometimes positioned at a distorted angle, making them susceptible to cavities below the gums, which are difficult to treat.
- Cysts or tumors can form around impacted wisdom teeth.
Such situations can be prevented by early detection and extraction of the impacted tooth. In some cases, a more detailed surgery by an oral surgeon may be required rather than a simple extraction – often when the tooth is wedged or impacted under the gumline.
If the wisdom teeth are not extracted, patients can experience the following problems:
- Infection of the gum tissue and gum disease
- Pain and swelling
- Formation of cysts that can damage the jaw
- Permanent damage to nearby gum, teeth, and bone
Therefore, if your impacted wisdom teeth have a high probability of causing problems, they may need to be extracted.
Wisdom Tooth Extraction in Ottawa: What to Expect
Surgical extraction of a tooth presents a routine procedure that is completed from our dentist office in Ottawa. You will be made comfortable and will be administered a local anesthetic to the treated area.
Wisdom Teeth Removal Procedure
The wisdom teeth removal procedure involves the following steps:
- Making an incision in the gum to expose the bone and the tooth.
- Removing bone blocking access to the tooth root.
- Dividing the tooth into sections if required.
- Extracting the tooth.
- Cleaning the tooth removal site of any debris from the bone or the tooth.
- Stitching the wound to promote healing, if necessary.
- Placing gauze over the wound to control bleeding.
Barring any infections (for which we will prescribe antibiotics to minimize complications prior to any surgical work), the procedure begins with the opening of gum tissue around the tooth in question. The dentist will remove any bone covering the tooth if necessary, and then they’ll separate the tissue connecting the tooth to your jawbone and perform a quick and precise extraction. Stitches may need to be applied afterwards, and we’ll inform you whether they will dissolve or will need to be removed at a later date.
Quick and Calming Wisdom Teeth Removal Recovery
We are capable of performing these treatments without the use of anesthetics yet without causing discomfort in our office. While the recovery period usually is just for a few days, we’ll prescribe an aftercare regimen to minimize pain and reduce the risk of infection.
Is Wisdom Tooth Removal Painful?
Typically, removing the wisdom tooth should not cause any pain, because the area will be numb. However, if you do experience pain as the tooth is being removed, let your oral surgeon or dentist know so that they can give you additional anesthetic. For patients with anxiety, we also offer IV sedation, so the procedure will be as comfortable as possible.
After Wisdom Teeth Removal
As with any surgical procedure, post-operative care is very important to prevent any possible complications, such as dry socket. Follow the instructions of your dentist or oral surgeon to promote fast and easy recovery after your wisdom teeth removal in Ottawa.
- Bleeding. A certain amount of bleeding is normal following the surgery. Excessive bleeding can be stopped by rinsing and wiping old blood clots from your mouth, and then positioning a gauze pad over the treated area.
- Swelling. You can expect some swelling around the mouth, cheeks, sides of the face, and even eyes. You can minimize swelling with ice packs.
- Pain. If you are experiencing severe pain, you may take the prescribed pain medications.
- Diet. Drink from a glass rather than using a straw, as the sucking motion may result in more bleeding. Eat anything soft and avoid the surgical sites. Try to consume high calorie and high protein foods at regular intervals to support your immune system and promote recovery.
- Keep the mouth clean. Avoid vigorous rinsing for 24 hours after the surgery. The night of the surgery, you can brush your teeth, but rinse as gentle as possible. The following day, you should begin to rinse your mouth 5-6 times a day with warm water mixed with salt.
- Discoloration. Some discoloration or bruising is common, taking up to 14 days to resolve.
- Antibiotics. If you have been prescribed antibiotics to prevent or treat infection, take them as directed.
Contact Rockcliffe Dental for Affordable Wisdom Tooth Removal in Ottawa
Our team of general dentists and assistants is highly knowledgeable of proper wisdom teeth removal in Ottawa, and know how to protect patients from complications. We will watch out for you every step of the way, ensuring your quick and healthy recovery post-surgery.
In addition, our prices are much more affordable than at maxillo-facial surgeons, for the same work! While maxillo-facial surgeons in Ottawa charge $2000-$3000 on average, at Rockcliffe Dental, the price is only $160 for a simple extraction.