Gum grafts in Ottawa are performed as an effective treatment for receding gums, which occur when tissue surrounding a tooth pulls away towards the jawline. Affecting 4% to 12% of adults, it’s extremely common. When suffering from gum recession, you may require a gum graft surgery in order to restore your dental health. Our team can perform this type of procedure with relative ease, ensuring that your smile and comfort is better protected for years to come.
Types of Gum Grafts in Ottawa
The objective of gum grafts in Ottawa is to increase the amount of “pink gums” around the tooth, which are called “gingiva”. This not only prevents further gum recession, but, if possible, also covers the exposed root. Studies have demonstrated that when gum recession associated with thin gingiva is not treated, the condition is more likely to progress further in the future.
Gum grafts in Ottawa present a thin part of gum tissue, normally harvested from the side of the mouth roof. The main purpose of the treatment is to prevent progression of the condition by placing the graft at the base of receding gums in order to fortify the attached tissue.
Depending on a patient’s needs, we may opt for one of three gum tissue-grafting methods.
Connective Tissue Graft
A connective-tissue graft entails carefully cutting a flap of skin at the roof of your mouth (the palate), and soft tissue from underneath this flap is transferred to the affected area and stitched into place.
In this procedure, the gum graft is placed over the exposed surface of the root, in order to reduce the root sensitivity and improve the aesthetics. The amount of root coverage may differ based on local factors, as it is not always possible to cover the root surface completely. This procedure also aids in building up thicker band of gingiva near the tooth, thus establishing a healthier gumline and preventing future recession.
Free Gingival Graft
An alternative approach is to perform a free gingival graft, which is similar in execution, except for the fact that a small quantity of tissue is removed from the roof of the mouth without cutting a flap of skin. This second approach is ideal for those with thin gums in need of more tissue. With this type of procedure, exposed roots are not usually covered.
Finally, there are pedicle grafts, which instead focus on partially cutting tissue from gum around or situated near the tooth or teeth in need of attention. The flap of cut gum tissue is then pulled appropriately to cover the exposed root, and then sewn into place. While this latter procedure is highly effective, we only advise that those who have ample gum tissue near impacted teeth opt for it.
Causes of Receding Gums in Ottawa
Gum recession occurs gradually, but we do not usually notice that we are losing gum tissue until it has changed our smile significantly. As soon as you notice the first signs of a receding gum line, schedule an appointment with Rockcliffe Dental and Denture Centre immediately!
Causes of gum recession in Ottawa include:
- Untreated periodontal disease. Certain bacterial infections in the gums destroy gum tissue over time, along with supporting bone. In fact, gum disease is the leading gum recession cause.
- Aggressive brushing habits. If you brush your teeth the wrong way or do it too hard, it can result in the wearing off of your enamel and recession of your gums.
- Your genes. Certain people are predisposed to gum disease. Studies have shown that 30% of the population is more susceptible to gum disease.
- Hormonal changes. During a woman’s lifetime, variations in female hormone levels due to puberty, pregnancy, or menopause can result in increased gum sensitivity and make them more vulnerable to gum disease.
- Inadequate dental care. Insufficient flossing, brushing, and rinsing can make it easier for plaque to turn into tartar – a hard substance that needs to be removed by professional dental cleaning. If not removed, tartar in between your teeth can lead to gum recession.
- Teeth grinding and clenching. This can put too much force on your teeth, leading to gum recession.
- Tobacco use. Smokers are more likely to suffer from sticky plaque on their teeth that can cause receding gums.
- Oral piercing. Jewelry in the tongue or lip can rub against the gums, causing irritation and wearing off of the gum tissue.
- Misaligned bite or crooked teeth. When teeth do not close evenly, the force is unevenly distributed between the gums and the bone, allowing for gum recession.
The Gum Graft Procedure in Ottawa
Gum Surgery Process
The gum surgery itself consists of the following steps:
- Local anesthesia is applied at the gum harvesting site, where the tissue is removed from the palate, as well as at the graft site, where the tissue is grafted onto the gum.
- The graft is harvested.
- The harvested tissue is grafted onto the site of the receding gum.
Periodontal Treatment: What to Expect
The gum graft procedure takes around 30 minutes. You will generally require two appointments: to perform the surgery itself and to remove the stitches and monitor the healing process.
Most patients take Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen for 1 to 2 days following the procedure. It is also important to avoid brushing the teeth in the treated area for 1 to 2 weeks.
Success Rate of the Periodontal Surgery
When you visit Rockcliffe Dental and Denture Centre for gum grafts in Ottawa, the success and satisfaction rate is very high. Receding gums result in teeth appearing longer than normal. After the gum graft procedure, the natural look of the smile will be fully restored.
The success rate is further increased by appropriate dental cleaning and care routine.
Benefits of a Gingival Graft
The benefits of gum grafts in Ottawa include:
- Thickens gums. The gum covering the tooth is strengthened and stabilized.
- Protects your teeth. The gum surgery protects the tooth against further recession.
- Reduces sensitivity. The sensitivity of teeth with recession is decreased, as the exposed tooth root is now covered with new gum.
- Aesthetic purposes. A natural and attractive smile is restored.
Choose Rockcliffe Dental and Denture Centre for Gum Surgery in Ottawa
Our team’s passion for premium quality dental surgery extends to our gum grafting surgeries. When you choose Rockcliffe Dental and Denture Centre for gum grafts in Ottawa, you can rest assured that you receive the best surgery to protect your teeth from gum recession and to restore a healthy and beautiful smile.
Looking for “gum grafts near me”? Contact us today to book an appointment.
- Learn more about general dentistry in Ottawa
- Learn more about sedation dentistry in Ottawa
- Learn what are gum grafts
- Learn more about 5 common oral surgeries in Ottawa
Gum Graft Before and After Photos