If you are worried about pain and discomfort during your oral surgery or other dental procedure, you will be happy to find out that we offer sedation dentistry in Ottawa at Rockcliffe Dental & Denture Centre. Ignoring issues such as cavities, broken or loose teeth, and other problems can put your oral health at serious risk.
Our dedicated team of dental professionals will make sure that every patient receives a welcoming, warm, and friendly dental experience. We believe in patient education and spend time one-on-one with each of our patients to provide high-quality dental care tailored to individual needs.
What is Sedation Dentistry in Ottawa?
“Sedation dentistry” describes the use of pharmacological agents, such as oral pills or “laughing gas” to relax and calm down the patient before and during the dental procedure. These agents don’t necessarily put the patient to the sleep, but they do put them at ease before as well as during their procedure.
The truth is, many patients delay their regular preventative visits due to dental anxiety, which leads to more serious dental health problems down the road. If you are afraid of dentists or pain, don’t worry! At Rockcliffe Dental & Denture Centre, we will make sure to minimize your discomfort with our conscious sedation options.
Often times, sedation dentistry also allows our dental team to conduct more than one dental procedure at once, saving you stress, time, and money.
Types of Dental Anesthesia in Ottawa
Your dentist in Ottawa will go over your health history and discuss your personal concerns prior to recommending the most suitable sedation option. At Rockcliffe Dental & Denture Centre, your safety and comfort are always a priority. All types of sedation dentistry in Ottawa are administered and monitored by experienced and highly trained dental professionals.
IV Sedation in Ottawa
Intravenous conscious sedation is also commonly referred to as “sleep dentistry”. However, this is not completely accurate: with IV conscious sedation in Ottawa, you are not completely asleep, as with general anesthesia. However, you will be in a deeply relaxed state, which is perfect for patients with a low pain threshold or a dental phobia.
You will need a companion to drive you to the clinic and bring you back home. It is also recommended to have somebody stay with you until the effects of sedation completely wear off.
Nitrous Oxide Dental Sedation in Ottawa
Nitrous oxide is well-known under the name of “laughing gas” and is used as a light sedative to make patients more comfortable during the appointment.
The patient inhales this odourless gas through a tiny cannula placed under the nose or a face mask, and, within minutes, feels completely at ease and more relaxed. Once the gas flow stops, the euphoric effects cease, and the patient can return to normal routine instantly. You will be able to drive yourself right after the appointment!
Oral Sedation Dentistry in Ottawa
Oral conscious sedation can be beneficial for patients suffering from extreme dental phobia. The patients take oral medication before even leaving their home, about an hour prior to the procedure. By the time the patient arrives at the dental clinic, he or she is already in a state of sedation. Effects of the oral sedation are long-lasting, and the patients will need to arrange for a family member to drive them to and from the procedure.
During the treatment, we will observe the patient’s vital signs to ensure their complete safety. During the procedure itself, the patient will remain conscious, but in a “twilight state”. Often, patients are able to answer questions during the treatment but are unlikely to have any memories of the procedure.
Local Anesthesia in Ottawa
For some procedures, such as root canal treatment or wisdom tooth extraction, you will be required to have treatment areas in your mouth numbed. Local anesthetic can be combined with other sedation methods, allowing for a comfortable, painless procedure.
Advantages of Sedation Dentistry
There are plenty of reasons why patients opt for sedation dentistry. The following are some of the most common:
- Less Anxiety. The primary benefit is that you’ll feel less anxious while in the dentist’s chair. If you’re relaxed, you’ll feel better, and your dentist will have an easier time doing the work they need to do.
- Regular Care. Knowing that going to the dentist can be a relaxing experience may make you more inclined to go on a regular basis. When you receive regular dental care, you’ll be less likely to need intense or invasive treatments. This, in turn, also makes subsequent dentist visits more pleasant.
- Reduced Gag Reflex. In many cases, patients who receive laughing gas or other types of sedation before their appointment experience a reduction in their gag reflex. This makes it easier for the dentist to get their work done in a timely manner, and it makes things more comfortable for the patient.
- Receive Multiple Treatments. For patients who need to undergo multiple treatments (such as those who haven’t seen the dentist in a long time), sedation dentistry is very helpful. It allows the patient to remain comfortable while having extensive work done on their teeth and gums.
- Help Those with Special Needs. Sedation dentistry is also very beneficial for patients who have special needs. These patients may have trouble sitting still or relaxing to let the dentist work on their teeth. Laughing gas and other sedatives can help parents and other caregivers figure out how to visit the dentist with their loved one without causing them unnecessary stress or anxiety.
As you can see, there are plenty of reasons why you might want to choose sedation dentistry for your next dental care appointment.
Dental Anesthesia: FAQs
Who is a good candidate for sleep dentistry in Ottawa?
Any patient suffering from dental anxiety or phobia or extremely sensitive to pain is a good candidate for sedation dentistry in Ottawa. If you are experiencing any of the following, talk to your dentist about the most suitable form of sedation in your case:
- Bad past experience with dental procedures
- Phobia and fears related to dental work
- Extremely sensitive dental nerves
- Resistance to local anesthetic
- Small mouth that often becomes sore during a dental appointment
- General anxiety disorder
What is laughing gas?
“Laughing gas” is a common name for Nitrous Oxide – a light sedative used to relax a patient during the dental appointment.
How much does sedation cost at the dentist?
Depending on the type of sedation, you can expect the following prices:
- $35 – $181 for inhalation sedation with the use of Nitrous Oxide (“laughing gas”), depending on the length of the procedure.
- $264 – $378 for IV dental sedation, depending on the length of dental appointment as well.
- For light oral sedation, we will give you the prescription, and the price will depend on the type of medication and the amount of sedative required. Oral sedation can be used alone or as an addition to Nitrous Oxide.
Dental insurance may cover dental procedure costs and any medically-required sedation. However, it typically does not cover the cost of sedation dentistry in Ottawa to relax and calm an anxious patient.
How long does dental freezing last after surgery?
Dental numbing from local anesthesia usually wears off in one to three hours after the dental procedure. It is important to avoid chewing on the frozen side until the anesthesia completely wears off in order to prevent biting lips or tongue.
Drinking and Anesthesia: Can you drink alcohol after dental anesthesia?
It is important to avoid alcohol consumption 24 hours before dental anesthesia, as well as wait at least 48 hours to drink alcohol after the oral surgery.
Suffering from Dental Anxiety? Contact Us to Find Out About Conscious Sedation Options!
Recent research shows that more than 400,000 members of the Canadian population have avoided seeing the dentist in the last year because of fear. Over 1.5 million have also cancelled or skipped an appointment at some point in their lives because they were afraid.
Are you part of either of these groups? Do you let your fear of the dentist stop you from receiving regular, essential care?
Sedation dentistry in Ottawa can enable patients with dental fears, anxiety, and previous unpleasant dental experiences to comfortably receive the care they need to restore a healthy and beautiful smile. If you are looking for “sedation dentist near me”, look no more! At Rockcliffe Dental & Denture Centre, we want to make sure that you enjoy the highest quality of life and be confident in your smile.
Contact us today to find out about dental sedation options.
- Learn when is conscious sedation in Ottawa right for you
- Learn more about the numerous benefits of sedation dentistry
- Learn more about general dentistry in Ottawa