At Rockcliffe Dental & Denture Centre, we always welcome new patients and offer a comprehensive dental exam for new patients in Ottawa, alongside a full range of dental services. Should you be seeking a dentist accepting new patients in Ottawa for yourself or your loved ones, our team would be happy to work with you. For new patients, we provide a comprehensive examination to analyze and accurately verify any complications to your dental health.
Dental Exam for New Patients in Ottawa: Importance of Regular Dental Visits
Regular dental visits are crucial, as they help to keep both your teeth and gums healthy. During a dental checkup at Rockcliffe Dental & Denture Centre, your overall oral health will be thoroughly examined by a dental professional in order to detect any trouble areas as soon as they appear. A treatment plan will then be devised to maintain life-long health of your teeth and gums.
Professional dental cleaning comes alongside with a dental exam for new patients in Ottawa, as it ensures that tartar and plaque buildup is regularly removed from the surface of your teeth. Your teeth can then be polished for a beautiful and healthy smile.
What Can I Expect During a Dental Checkup?
First, one of the highly trained dentists at our dental centre will inspect your face and neck, which is done to check for inflammation, swelling, or symptoms of infection. Next, they’ll perform a thorough analysis of your mouth tissue, watching for discolourations, ulcers. We also perform an oral cancer screening and inspect your bite and jaw joint for problems.
Next, the dentist will move on to your gums and jawbone, verifying that they serve as a strong foundation for your teeth. Symptoms of gingivitis, gum disease, and bone disease will be recognized if they are present. Lastly, a careful and in-depth inspection of your teeth will be carried out. We’ll check for cavities, decay, infections, plaque build-up, and other issues. We’ll of course be open to any input you may have at this time, and will work diligently to address any outlying concerns.
Dental Checkup Procedure in Ottawa
Overall, a dental checkup procedure in Ottawa involves the following steps:
- Face and neck are checked for swelling, inflammation, or symptoms of infection.
- Mouth tissue is analyzed for ulcers or discolorations.
- Oral cancer screening is performed.
- Jaw joint and bite are checked for problems.
- Gums and jawbones are checked for symptoms of gum disease, gingivitis, or bone disease.
- Teeth are inspected to detect any decay, cavities, plaque buildup, infections, or other problems.
- Any outlying concerns are addressed.
- Dental care and dental hygiene recommendations are given by the dentist.
Dental Check Up Cost in Ottawa
Our new patient exam in Ottawa involves probing gum depth, a detailed recording of the entire mouth, screening for oral cancer, as well as an in depth dental exam by the dentist and oral hygiene instructions. Prices for dental exams for new patients in Ottawa start at $246 and include four bitewing X-rays as well as a panorex X-ray in addition to the exam itself.
Benefits of Regular Dental Check Ups and Cleanings
Visiting a dentist every six months may be daunting, but it is one of the most important health habits to keep up to. If you are wondering what is the point of regular dental checkups in Ottawa, here are a few of the benefits you get out of your visit at our dental office:
- Oral cancer detection. Oral cancer is a very serious disease, and detecting the early signs and symptoms can be crucial in preventing its future progression into a life-threatening condition. While you may not notice oral abnormalities at the early stages, your dentist is highly trained to recognize these symptoms.
- Plaque, tartar, and cavities. Even with daily brushing and flossing, it is impossible to completely remove plaque and tartar buildup in difficult-to-reach areas. With regular dental cleanings, tartar will be removed, thus preventing teeth erosion and cavities.
- Gum disease. Buildup of tartar and plaque can lead to erosion of the gum tissues! Tartar may cause infection, known as “gingivitis”, between the tooth and the gum, making the gum “pull away” from the tooth. As the condition progresses, the connective tissue between the tooth and the gum breaks down. To avoid such issues, regular dental check ups are crucial in catching gingivitis before it gets out of hand.
- Keep bad habits in check. Numerous bad habits may negatively impact your oral health. Such habits include biting your nails or chewing ice, grinding teeth or clenching your jaw, brushing your teeth too hard, consuming particular foods and drinks, and smoking. During the dental exam for new patients in Ottawa, your dentist will evaluate any damage caused by these habits and inform you about proper dental care routines.
- Find problems under the surface with X-rays. With X-ray imaging, your dentist can see what is happening under the surfaces of your mouth and diagnose issues invisible to the naked eye. Such problems include impacted teeth, bone decay, tumours, and cysts.
- Head, neck, and lymph node check. Your dentist will examine your jaw, neck, and lymph nodes located below the jawline for any lumps, swelling, or other abnormalities. Detected abnormalities may signal a major health issue: your dentist will inform you if this is the case and refer you to the appropriate medical professional.
Dental X-Rays in Ottawa
We recommend that all new patients to opt for x-rays in addition to the examination, in the event that their most recent ones are older than several months. This will allow us to identify problems that the naked eye cannot identify, and enable us to build a detailed file on your dental health.
Types of Dental X-Rays
There exist several types of dental X-rays, each of which records a different view of your mouth. The most common dental X-ray procedures in Ottawa include:
- Bitewing. This X-ray technique involves biting on a special piece of paper, so that your dental specialist will be able to see how well your upper and bottom teeth crowns match up. This procedure is commonly used to check for interdental cavities (cavities between teeth).
- Panoramic. For this procedure, the X-ray machine rotates around the patient’s head. This technique may be used to investigate jaw problems, check wisdom teeth, or plan for implants.
- Occlusal. Occlusal X-ray is performed to monitor the full development and placement of the teeth. It can also identify anatomical abnormalities with the palate or the floor of the mouth. Each X-ray captures the full arch of teeth in either lower or upper jaw in one shot.
Dental X-Ray FAQs
Do Dental X-rays Show All Types of Cavities?
Dental X-rays are extremely useful in detecting cavities, including interdental cavities, as well as bone loss and hidden dental structures (ex. wisdom teeth) that cannot be seen with a naked eye during a visual examination.
Are Dental X-Rays Dangerous?
Dental X-rays do require low levels of radiation exposure. However, the amount of radiation is very small, so is the risk of potentially harmful effects – dental X-rays are considered to be completely safe.
How Much are Dental X-Rays?
At Rockcliffe Dental & Denture Centre, bitewing and panoramic x-rays are included in our comprehensive dental exam for new patients in Ottawa – no extra fee is required.
Looking for a Dentist Accepting New Patients? Contact Us Today for a Complete Dental Exam in Ottawa!
Whether you are new to Ottawa, returning to the dentist after a long period of absence, or simply looking for guidance in proper dental care, we welcome you. If you’ve longed for a knowledgeable and well-trained dental team to work with you, then don’t hesitate to contact us. We look forward to getting to know you and addressing your needs.